Dr. des. Hanan Badr
hanan.badr [at] fu-berlin.de
- 2013-2015 PhD Lecturer at Department of Journalism, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University
- 2015 Egyptian project coordinator of the DAAD-funded “Tawasul” research project “Journalism in Transformation in Egypt and beyond”
- November 2012 – April 2015: Head researcher in the BMBF-funded research project “Media Culture in Transformation” at the Orient Institut Beirut, Cairo Office
- 12-14. November 2015 Co-organisation of the Workshop “Egyptian Media & Journalism between Change and Continuity” at the FU Berlin.
- 1-2. March 2015 Organisation of the BMBF-funded Orient Institut Beirut workshop “Whatever happened to the Arab Spring? Four years after the revolutionary moment”
- September – December 2014: DAAD Visiting scholar at the Institut für Publizistik- und Kommunikationswissenschaft, Freie Universität Berlin
- 05. December 2013 Organisation of the BMBF-funded Orient Institut Beirut workshop “How Public is the Constitution in Egypt? Contested Public Spheres, Social Movements and Political Communication Online”
- 07.-08. May 2013 Organisation of the BMBF-funded Orient Institut Beirut workshop “Political Communication, Public Sphere and Transition in Egypt”
- 2007-2013 DAAD Promotionsstipendium/scholarship Doctoral Degree (Dr. des.), University of Erfurt. Thesis: Framing of Underground- and State Terrorism in Egyptian and German Print Media
- February – May 2012: Local Coordinator for the conference entitled” Media Accountability in Transformation“ by Erich Brost Institut for International Journalism, TU Dortmund, funded by the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt)
- October 2007-September 2011: DAAD-PhD-Scholarship (Vollpromotionsstipendium) of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) at the University of Erfurt, Germany
- July 2005-September 2007: Senior Research and Assistant Lecturer at the Journalism Department, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University
- 2002-2005 Master of Arts, Cairo University. Thesis: The Image of Egypt and Egyptians in the German Print Media.
- February 2001-July 2005: Research and Teaching Assistant at the Journalism of Department, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University
- 1996-2000 Bachelor of Arts, Cairo University in Journalism and Mass Communication.
- Wessen Terrorismus? Das Framing von Untergrund- und Staatsterrorismus im Kontext des israelisch-palästinensischen Konflikts, eine Monographie, (Whose Terrorism? Framing of underground and state terrorism in the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict), Wiesbaden, Springer VS, 2016 (forthcoming).
- Orient Institut Studies No. 4, 2016 Media Culture in Transformation: Political communication, Social Networking and Transition in Egypt
- „Limitations of the Social Media Euphoria in Communication Studies“, in Centre d’études et de documentation économiques, juridiques et sociales (CEDEJ), Égypte/Monde arabe, Vol. 13, March 2015. Available online: http://ema.revues.org/3451
- (co-authored with Thomas Demmelhuber) „Autoritäre Regime, Neue Medien und das »Regimedilemma«: eine Fallstudie zu Ägypten“, (Authoritarian Regimes, New Media and the Regime dilemma: A Case Study on Egypt“, Zeitschrift für Internationale Beziehungen, Vol. 21, No. 1, June 2014, pp. 143-160. http://www.zib.nomos.de/fileadmin/zib/doc/Aufsatz_ZIB_14_01_Badr.pdf
- „Terrorism and the diverse societal and political discourses – a philosophical discussion“, in Demoqratiya Journal, Al-Ahram Centre for Political and Strategic Studies. No. 61, January 2016), (in Arabic language)
- „Ramadan drama: A critical discussion of the socio-political media reality in the Egyptian series“, in Al Malaf al Masry, Al-Ahram Centre for Political and Strategic Studies, Vol. 2, No. 11, June 2015, p. 5-8. (in Arabic language)
- (co-authored with Carola Richter) „Kommunikationswissenschaft in Ägypten“, in: Averbeck-Lietz, Stefanie (Ed.): Kommunikationswissenschaft im internationalen Vergleich. Transnationale Perspektiven. Wiesbaden, Springer VS, 2016 (forthcoming).
- Public Sphere, new media and political culture in post-revolutionary Egypt, in: Orient Institut Studies, Vol. 3, 2016, Available online: http://www.perspectivia.net/publikationen/orient-institut-studies
- (co-authored with Mehrez Ghali) Social movements, constitution debates and online deliberations in the post-Mubarak Egyptian public sphere , in: Orient Institut Studies, Vol. 3, 2016 Available online: http://www.perspectivia.net/publikationen/orient-institut-studies
- „Images of the U.S. in Egyptian Media: A New Factor enters the Equation“, in Shahin, Magda (Ed.), Egypt – U.S. Relations in a New Era, Cairo, Prince Alwaleed Center for American Studies and Research, American University in Cairo, 2014. Available online: http://www.aucegypt.edu/GAPP/casar/Pages/hanan%20badr.pdf
- „Battleground Facebook: Contestation Mechanisms in the Social Media in the Framing of the Egypt’s Revolution 2011”. In: Berenger, Ralph (Ed.), Social Media Go to War: Rage, Rebellion and Revolution in the Age of Twitter. Spokane, Marquette Books, 2013.
- „Parallelen und Kooperationsmöglichkeiten in der Scientific Community – Eine international-vergleichende Perspektive am Beispiel der Medien- und Kommunikationswissenschaft in Ägypten und Deutschland“ (Parallels and Cooperation possibilities for the Scietific Community – a Cross-national perspective at the example of Media and Communication Studies in Germany and Egypt), Article in the DAAD-Report due to the 50th Anniversary in Cairo, DAAD-Regional Office in Cairo (May 2010)
- „Der Mord an Marwa: ein medienkritischer Rückblick“. In INAMO (Informationsprojekt Naher und Mittlerer Osten), Vol. 15, Autumn 2009, pp.41-45. in the same time published on www.qantara.de, „Medienkritik im Fall Marwa El-Sherbini: Das Feindbild der Anderen“, also in English under the title „The Murder of Marwa: Desperately Seeking Intercultural Sensitivity“.
- Book Review Susan D. Moeller, Packaging Terrorism: Co-opting the News for Politics and Profit, Wiley & Sons, Blackwell Publishers, 2009.In Media, War and Conflict, Vol. 2, No. 2, August 2009.
- Book Review: Mohamed Ali Bassyouni, Der Facebook Staat, (The Facebook State) Cairo, Shorouk Publishers, 2009. In DAVO, Vol. 29, August 2009.
- Numerous articles on politics, social and media issues published in Al-Doustour Al-Tahrir newspaper and de.
- (with Carola Richter) “From counter-hegemony to power and back again: The Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood in transforming political and media structures”, Paper presented at the IAMCR 2015 conference in Montreal, Canada, 12.-16.07.2015
- “Comparing two media systems in change in the East German media system 1989-1991 and the Egyptian media system 2011-2013”, A paper presented at the Al-Ahram Canadian Annual conference, Cairo, Egypt, 13.-16.03.2014
- “Social Movements’ Online Discourses in the Social Media in a transforming Egypt” 18th Annual Conference of the Arab-US Association of Communication Educators, Tanger, Morocco 11-15.11.2013
- Europe in the Middle East –The Middle East in Europe (EUME) International Summer Academy by the Forum Transregionale Studien (Berlin), AUC Aesthetics and Politics: Counter-Narratives, New Publics, and the Role of Dissent in the Arab World, Cairo, 16 – 27.09.2012
- “Battleground Facebook”: Contestation Mechanisms in the Social Media in the Framing of the “Egyptian Revolution” in 2011, paper presented at the conference “Islam, Citizenship and the New Media in Pre- and Post-Revolutionary Egypt”, Netherlands-Flemish Institute in Cairo, 18.-20.12.2011.
- “Who is the Terrorist? Framing of Terrorism in the Context of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict”, paper presented at the International Conference of the scholarly Network International and Intercultural Communication (NIIC) Beyond “Center” and “Periphery”: (De)Westernization International and Intercultural Communication, Erfurt, 27-29.10.2011.
- „Framing Terrorism in the Context of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict – Assassination of Ahmed Yassin 2004 as a Case Study “, Presented at the Conference Global Media and the War on Terror, University of Westminster, London, 13.-14.09.2010.
- Invited speaker on “Social Media and the Arab Spring: what remains? Encounters from Egypt” at Winter School “Social Media and Teaching – where do we go from here?” – at the Free University of Berlin, Berlin, 14.12.2014
- Invited speaker on “Was it a Facebook Revolution?”, Invited Speaker at the Conference on Law and Economics in times of Revolutions, at the University of Hamburg, Hamburg, 6-9.11.2013
- Invited speaker on “Islam and the Media: Reflections on the Image of Muslims in Western Media”, at the DAAD-Summer School “Muslims in the West”, University of Erfurt, Erfurt, August 2010 and August 2011.
- Invited Speaker on „Internet as Potential for freedom in the Arab World?” at the Austrian Orient Society, Vienna, 10.-12.12.2009.
- Invited Speaker on „The media representation of the terrorism in the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict “, Friedrich-Ebert-Foundation, Bonn, 07.2009.
- Comparing international media systems
- Public Sphere in the Arab World
- Arab Media Systems
- Media for Development
- Media Literacy in the Egyptian context
- Introduction to content analysis
- Comparative Media Systems
- International Communication
- Media and Political Transformation
- Public Sphere in the Arab World
- Media Discourses on Islam and the West
- Social Media and Political Change
- Media and Terrorism
- Foreign Coverage in Media Discourses
- March 2011- August 2015: weekly columnist for the El Dustour newspaper, then El Tahrir daily newspaper.
- December 2011 till December 2012: Press coordinator for the Cairo Climate Talks (CCT) Project, in collaboration with the German Embassy, DAAD and GIZ in Cairo
- November 2006 – September 2007: Editor and Translator at the German Information Centre (GIC) at the German Embassy in Cairo. Website: http://www.almania-info.diplo.de.